At a Glance
Loosely defined as bounded by Walnut, Lombard, Front and 8th Streets.
SEPTA bus routes 12, 40, 47 and 57
- The Society Hill Towers
- Abbotts Square Condominiums
- 1352 South St. Lofts
- Society Hill Playhouse
- Society Hill Civic Assoc.
- Independence National Historical Park
Considering that Society Hill is one of Philadelphia's more affluent neighborhoods, it's no secret that the housing market here is not only strong but also contain some of the city's priciest homes. Consisting of a healthy mix of stately single family comes, low-rise condos as well as a few high-rises, there is pretty much something for everyone.
Society Hill (Front St-7th, Walnut St-South St) is an affluent, virtually commercial free neighborhood inhabited by Philly’s well-to-do. Consisting of restored colonial, federal and Georgian townhomes along tree-lined streets. Many of Society Hill’s sections include cobblestone blocks containing the largest concentration of original 18th and early 19th-century architecture of any place in the United States which has prompted Forbes to name this area one of the most exclusive enclaves in Americ. Much like Beacon Hill in Boston, Society Hill is noted as a charming district with cobblestone streets bordered by brick rowhouses in Federal and Georgian style.
The district is named after the 18th century Free Society of Traders, which had its offices at Front Street on the hill above Dock Creek. Located close to both the Delaware River and Philadelphia’s civic buildings, including the Independence Hall, the neighborhood soon became one of the city’s most populous areas. Historic buildings in Society Hill include the Society Hill Synagogue, built in 1829 as a Baptist church by Philadelphia architect Thomas U. Walter, one of the architects of the United States Capitol in Washington, DC. Residents are zoned to the General George A. McCall School for grades Kindergarten through 8 and Furness High School for high school. Also located in Society Hill is the Saint Peter’s School, considered to be the most exclusive private elementary school in Philadelphia. It was formed in 1834 and was originally part of St. Peter’s Church, erected in 1761.