As of the 2010 census, the township had a total population of 60,427, which makes it the largest municipality in Bucks County. The township, which was founded in 1692, is almost as old as Pennsylvania itself, which was founded in 1682.
At a Glance
Bensalem is the southernmost township in Bucks County and is bordered by Philadelphia to the west and south, Croydon and the rest of Bristol Township to the east and northeast, Hulmeville and Middletown Township to the north, and Feasterville, Trevose, and Oakford in Lower Southampton Township to the northwest. Across the Delaware River in Burlington County, New Jersey to the southeast, there are Beverly, Delanco Township, and Edgewater Park Township.
The township is the site of the Cornwells Heights SEPTA station, which is the largest park-and-ride in the state of Pennsylvania  and serves as a commuter rail station to New York City. Two SEPTA regional rail lines, a freight line, and multiple SEPTA buses pass through the township.
The origins of Bensalem likely comes from references made by settler Joseph Growden, who named his estate as Manor of Bensalem' in honor of William Penn, the son of peace and the Semitic term for peace Salem. Originally named Salem, the word Ben was added in 1701.
The fall line, which separates the Atlantic Coastal Plain region from the Piedmont region, runs through Bensalem, and is visible around theNeshaminy Mall area. The Neshaminy Creek forms the natural eastern boundary and Poquessing Creek forms the natural western boundary of the township.
Bensalem township is readily accessible with Interstate 95, U.S. Route 1, Pennsylvania Turnpike, U.S. Route 13, Woodhaven Road (PA 63) and Street Road all passing through. The Bensalem (formerly Philadelphia) Interchange of the Pennsylvania Turnpike (exit 351, at U.S. Route 1) is in the Trevose section of the township. In addition, the eastbound Street Road interchange of the Pennsylvania Turnpike (exit 352), which is E-ZPass only, is now open in Bensalem.
In 1987, the people of Bensalem voted to become a second-class township with a five-member council and a mayor. The township has its own nine-member school board.