Just Listed Homes | Apartments
BC

Bala Cynwyd

Shortly settled after William Penn's landing in Pennsylvania in 1682, Bala Cynwyd contains the some of oldest commercial buildings and is known for its children's clothing stores, women's dress & consignment shoots, the Bala theater and lots of restaurants.

At a Glance

BOUNDARIES

Bordering on City Line Avenue from Old Lancaster Road at 54th Street west to Meeting House Lane and then along Manayunk and Conshohocken State Roads north to Mary Watersford Road, then east along Belmont Avenue back to City Line.

TRANSPORTATION

SEPTA's Cynwyd Line of Regional Rail

LINKS

FURTHER READING

Overview

Bala Cynwyd lies in the Welsh Tract of Pennsylvania and was settled in the 1680s by Welsh Quakers, who named it after the town of Bala and the village of Cynwyd in Wales.

A mixed residential community made up predominantly of single-family detached homes, it extends west of the Philadelphia city limits.

This large residential district contains some of Lower Merion’s oldest and finest stone mansions, built mainly from 1880 through the 1920s and located in the sycamore-lined district between Montgomery Avenue and Levering Mill Road, as well as split level tract houses built east of Manayunk Road just after World War II.

Bala Cynwyd is served by the Lower Merion School District with its headquarters in Ardmore. Public school children of area residents attend the Cynwyd Elementary School on Levering Mill Road, Bala Cynwyd Middle School on North Bryn Mawr Avenue, and Lower Merion High School in Ardmore.

Another school in Bala is Kohelet Yeshiva High School on Old Lancaster Road. The private, Catholic Merion Mercy and Waldron Mercy Academies are only a quarter mile up Montgomery Avenue in Merion. The bilingual French International School of Philadelphia, on North Highland Avenue, teaches approximately 320 children from pre-kindergarten (K3) to eighth grade in French and English.