At a Glance
Ardmore is adjacent to Wynnewood (east), Haverford (west), Gladwyne (north), and Havertown (southwest); and contains 1.9 total square miles.
SEPTA Paoli / Thorndale Line
Originally named Athensville in 1853, the community and its railroad station were renamed Ardmore in 1873 by the Pennsylvania Railroad, on whose "Main Line", west out of Philadelphia, Ardmore sits at Milepost 8.5.
Residents and visitors enjoy several recreation areas, including South Ardmore Park, which is located in neighboring Wynnewood, though many mistake it for Ardmore. Suburban Square, opened in 1928 as one of the earliest shopping centers in the United States, is located adjacent to the Ardmore train station and contains the former Suburban movie theater—now American Eagle Outfitters; the newly relocated Ardmore Farmer’s Market; an Apple Store, and the usual selection of mall shops.
Other landmarks within the Ardmore Progressive Civic Association borders include the Ardmore Post Office and Ardmore Public Library on South Ardmore Avenue; the Ardmore Ice Skating Club on Greenfield Avenue; a public swimming pool; lighted tennis/basketball courts; the community center known as “The Shack”; and two senior housing projects.
Other landmarks historically associated with Ardmore include the Autocar Manufacturing Company, an important manufacturer of trucks and jeeps during the world wars, once located on Lancaster Pike on the site of the current Ardmore West Shopping Center, which burned down in a famous conflagration in 1956; the Ardmore Theater on Lancaster Pike, now the Philadelphia Sports Club; Harrison’s Department Store, on the north side of Lancaster Pike across from the theater; Mads Record Shop, rock music mecca since the genre’s inception, still going strong; the Merion Art Center; the Pennywise Thrift Shop of Jefferson Medical College; Lyons Hardware Store on Rittenhouse Place; Rittenhouse Electric, also on Rittenhouse Place; A. Talone Cleaners at Lancaster and Greenfield.